Blog 1; The historie

When creating the website we had the idea of including a blog, but for one reason or another it was forgotten. Until someone pointed out to me a while ago how useful this is. All news from the region can receive extra attention here and the home front (and other interested parties) remain informed of our activities.
Today is the first blog, we hope you enjoy reading it
Blog 1; the history of Leyvinie
The name Leyvinie has been around for a long time, the word is a corruption of les Vignes, (grape vines)
In the past, wine was grown on Leyvinie (as in many places in France) until the dreaded phylloxera (grape phylloxera) arrived in France. The species originates from North America and was brought to Europe by humans. Particularly in the 19th century, this species caused the destruction of a large part of European vineyards, in France approximately 70% of all plants died after 1870. Combating the phylloxera was virtually impossible.
After this, Leyvinie became a farm where tobacco was also grown, dried (the threads still hang under the roof) and sorted into 1/2/3 quality. Many farmers grew tobacco at that time (until the cheaper tobacco came from Africa), after all, the beef cows were in the stables in the winter so the farmers had time for it.
The first known owner of Leyvinie was Mr. Grenier. He leased the entire property to the Chouzenou family. Robert Chouzenou lives nearby and has already told us a few nice anecdotes. For example, after the Second World War illegal dance parties were held above gites Syrah and Mourvedre. In 1963, running water came to Leyvinie, before that the water was taken from the well, which was unfortunately clogged with rubbish. The grain was stored in the attic of the house and also served as insulation for the bedrooms below.
In 1967, the La Pouge family bought Leyvinie from Mr. Grenier. The La Pouge family also did not buy it to live there themselves, but because of the surrounding 40 hectares that they used for their cattle. According to the La Pouge family, the house was built before 1800 because the windows were bricked up when they bought it, due to the doors and window tax imposed in 1798. The stables were built in 1865 (the stone above the door of Gite Grenache is still present).
In 1981, the Dutch couple Han and Ans bought the farm (without the land), which was now very dilapidated. They came here for (job) holidays for years, after which the real renovation started in 1988. The servants’ house, the horse stable and the cowshed were converted into gite Syrah (you can still see the bread oven in this gite), gite Mourvedre and gite Grenache respectively.
These gites were rented for the first time in the summer of 1989. They started the restaurant in their home, which within a short time became well known in the area. People still speak highly of Han and Ans’ restaurant.
In the winter of 1989/90 the cowshed was demolished and the swimming pool was constructed.
In the winter of 1990/91, the Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauvignon gites were built in the same style as the former stable. The restaurant moved to what is now gite Merlot.
After 12 seasons, Leyvinie was sold to a Dutch couple in 2000.
Unfortunately, they were declared bankrupt in 2004, after which the third Dutch couple (Helma and Leo) took over. The vines planted by Han and Ans were no longer there and the restaurant closed its doors. After receiving guests for 17 years, Helma and Leo sold Leyvinie to us in 2021.